Our work embraces engineering, architecture and product design.
We are architects, engineers and industrial designers with a passion for innovation.
Our interest lies in the genesis of form and the overlap of science with art.
INDEXLAB is an experimental laboratory at the Politecnico di Milano. We design groundbreaking construction systems for new tectonics in architecture. We specialize in computational design, digital and robotic fabrication, simulation, interaction and media design. We build prototypes of complex forms through the application of cutting-edge technology and the use of natural materials, metals, polymers, cement-based materials and composites. We team up with the most visionary companies to explore the future of construction.
INDEXLAB was founded in 2010 by Pierpaolo Ruttico, architect and engineer (Ph.D.). Pierpaolo Ruttico is a research fellow at the Politecnico di Milano. He has worked as a designer for PelliClarkePelli Architects in New York City and as a computational designer and robotic fabrication consultant for COOPHIMMELB(L)AU in Vienna. He has been a Guest Critic at SCIarc Los Angeles and his work has been published internationally, including Advances in Architectural Geometry 2012, Encoding Architecture 2013, ESDA 2014, IAHS 2015.
– Ruttico P., “Algorithmic design and robotic fabrication”, Digital Takes Command, Rubettino, 2015.
– Ruttico P., Beltracchi C., “Geometria variabile, Il codice nella forma”, Modulo 396/2015.
– Ruttico P., “Robot, Costruire digitale”, Modulo 394/2015.
– Ruttico P., Beltracchi C., “Padiglione Copagri Expo Milano 2015”, Officina 06/2015.
– Pizzi E., Ruttico P., “How complex geometry and industrial process come together: a case study of the Palazzo Italia Expo 2015”, Milano, International journal for Housing Science, Vol.38, 2014.
– Ruttico P., “Progettazione Computazionale e Fabbricazione Robotica per l’Architettura”, Uno (Nessuno) Centomila | Prototipi in Movimento – Trasformazioni dinamiche del disegno e nuove tecnologie per il design, Maggioli Editore, 2014.
– Ruttico P., Lorusso P., Arrighi S., “Reciprocal frame optimisation for laser-tube technology”, Proceedings of the ASME 2014 12th Biennial Conference on Engineering Systems Design and Analysis, ESDA2014, Copenhagen, Denmark, 2014.
– Ruttico P., Arrighi S., “Responsive Patterns on double-curved surfaces”, [En]Coding Architecture: the Book, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, USA, 2013.
– Ruttico P., Lorusso P., “Bitmap-driven parametric wall for Robotic Fabrication”, Advances in Architectural Geometry 2012, Springer, 2012.
– Pizzi E., Iannaccone G., Ruttico P., “Innovative strategies for adaptive buildings in large cities”, International journal for Housing Science, Vol.36, 2012.
– Ruttico P., “Coperture e forme complesse. Nuovi sistemi logici-organizzativi”, Il giornale dell’ingegnere 19/2011.
– Copeland C., Ruttico P., “Densità sostenibile per i nuovi grattacieli”, Arketipo 47/2010.
Indexlab has established productive partnerships
with world-leading institutions and visionary companies.
INDEXLAB – Creativity & Technology
Politecnico di Milano, Polo di Lecco
Via Gaetano Previati 1/c